The first baptism held at St. Andrew's took place on May 24, 1928 when the Rev. Horace Wood served as vicar. This congregation officially began in 1933 when the Diocese of San Diego was still a part of the Diocese of Los Angeles. From the beginning, St. Andrew's has had many part-time vicars and missionary priests. The Rev. J. Stanley Parke became the first full-time rector in 1946. The congregation outgrew its original location in Mission Beach and in 1949, the current property was purchased for $5,000. The church burned down in 1961, but was rebuilt in 1963 and has served countless people as their spiritual home.